Story: Sita (and Rama)

Sita (and Rama). 
Inspo: Sita Tested


It felt like I have nothing left. What am I without my love, Rama? How could he? How could he speak upon my name in this way? I couldn't hold the tears back.

Tears falling from my eyes, I finally speak. "How? How could you possibly think this way?"

Emotionlessly, he spoke quickly: "Did you not live so long with my enemy?"

And so, I had to let him go in my heart. I cannot long for someone who didn't believe in me. I cannot love someone when it is not reciprocated equally and unequivocally. We were not what we used to be.

"I was held against my will, Rama!" I couldn't keep quiet at this iodicy. My voice got louder and louder with each time I spoke. "I was scared, I was kidnapped! How can anyone think I was living in harmony, at peace within? I can assure you I wasn't"

And that's when it happened. Rama signaled to the guards to grab me from behind.  They took me to the pyre and I tried, I tried with every bone in my body to fight. But, I was not strong enough. They tossed my down into a pit of smoke and fire, my heart beating so loud I could swear everyone beyond the forrest could hear. Dhakdahk, Dhadahk, Dhadahk.  As was nearing to the hot blaze, I closed my eyes and prayed.

Suddenly, it was not cold anymore. I opened my eyes, and before my very eyes was was Durga, looking down on me from her lion. "Do not worry," she spoke, softly and assuringly. "Come with me and all will be well." She reached her hand down, prompting me to join her. "What should we do now, he left me there to die!" She looked back at me, and with a smirk, she spoke: "Oh sister, do not fret. For now, we will let him wonder.'' And with that, we rode off and left Rama with nothing but ashes from the fire.


Image result for Durga
Durga, and her weapons. Source: India Today
Authors Note: With this story, I wanted to show that Sita has the capacity to be strong. In a past post, I described how Durga reigns terror over the wicked to liberate the oppressed. I know that Rama is not portrayed anywhere near wicked, but this story made me look at him in another light. In the original story, Agni acts as the protector, and speaks in Sita's favor. With mine, I wanted to show Sita believing in herself and showing it, unapologetically. That's why when she prayed, Durga came to her, and not Agni. To show that she had the 'fight' in her, even if she didn't know it at the time.

Fun Fact: I was trying to remember how to spell the sound of a heartbeat (for those wondering, it's ba boom, ba bump, and  lub dub. But, in India, it's dhakdhak.  I thought that was pretty neat and so I wanted to incorporate it into my Story.

Comments

  1. Ida, one thing that I noticed from your story was that it was told from a unique point of view than from the original readings of the Ramayana. It's often forgotten about Sita, being that she was a supporting character, so it's fascinating to read the story from her viewpoint. I also like to praise your usage of dialogue that certainly creates a more immersive experience for the readers to follow along with the story. Other than that, this is very well written and I look forward to reading more of these stories from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ida. I enjoyed your story and like the way that you just jumped into things. Maybe a little context for the story could add more to it. This story reminded me somewhat of the bible story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego where the were sent to be burnt in the furnace but were saved and the parallels are interesting if you want to give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ida,
    I always love reading stories about Sita! I thought she was treated quite unfairly by Rama. The way you wrote the story, Rama comes off as even more of a jerk than in the Ramayana. I couldn't remember if he actually told his guards to throw Sita into the pyre, or if she did it willingly. If you changed that detail, it made the story even more impactful! Thanks for giving Sita a chance to tell her side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ida,

    I think it is cool that you incorporated onomatopoeia from the culture we're reading about in your story, and thank you for pointing that out in the Author's Note. I think it's interesting how each culture hears sounds differently. I like your presentation of Sita during the trial by fire and I loved how the goddess left Rama to wonder for a little bit. Your story does an amazing job of making the audience empathize with Sita during this difficult time. I'm very impressed, and look forward to seeing what else you do with this story.

    The epic doesn't hesitate to remind the reader that Rama is the incarnation of a god, but doesn't really focus on the fact that Sita is the incarnation of a goddess. I found this in the Wikipedia page on Lakshmi:
    "In Lakshmi's iconography, she is either sitting or standing on a lotus and typically carrying a lotus in one or two hands. The lotus carries symbolic meanings in Hinduism and other Indian traditions. It symbolises knowledge, self-realisation, and liberation in Vedic context, and represents reality, consciousness and karma (work, deed) in the Tantra (Sahasrara) context.[35] The lotus, a flower that blossoms in clean or dirty water, also symbolises purity regardless of the good or bad circumstances in which it grows. It is a reminder that good and prosperity can bloom and not be affected by evil in one's surrounding."

    That could come in to your story. If Rama knew that Sita's purity was a godly aspect of Lakshmi, why was he so accusatory and cold toward her? Personally, I think that Rama was certain of Sita's purity, but he knew how rumors have a tendency to get started and ruin a person's reputation. By subjecting her to a trial by fire, he's proving her godly purity to his followers. By not accepting her immediately back into the marriage bed, he's ensuring that she does't get pregnant until a reasonable time has passed after her captivity so no one can accuse her of getting pregnant by Ravana.

    Thanks for sharing!
    -Eden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ida!
    Wow! Just reading the first sentence, I was drawn in and enamored with the powerful questions this story begins with. I love how you ended the story with Durga, appearing as if he was an angel coming from above to save Sita. You did a great job writing from Sita's point of view, and the literary devices you used gave me chills.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ida!
    Great writing in this story! The pacing is spot on (not too fast and not too slow) and you do a great job of giving good details. The one thing that felt weird was that Sita "lets him go in her heart" but then pleads with Rama again. Maybe those paragraphs would be better switched! Thats it though, and good job showing Sita as strong! I loved that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment