Growth Mindset




If at first you don't succeed...
I've never heard the term "growth mindset," but I've definitely practiced some of it's ideologies. Something that I have worked on getting really comfortable with is failing.

Fun fact I learned from studying for my MCAT: when a muscle undergoes injury, satellite cells fuse together and to other microfibers, ultimately making the muscle grow in thickness. The mind is like a muscle; sometimes failure is necessary to experience growth.

One of the things that really resonated with me was the replacement of an "F" with a "not yet." The grade F is associated with failure, and sometimes (especially for me), it's really hard to differentiate failing and failure. Fail-ing is an action. It will pass. I guarantee you that everybody who is "sucessful" has experienced failing at least once. Fail-ure is an identity, and that can sometimes be hard to get out of. I love that schools are shifting the culture in this way because it moves us from being hopeless to hopeful, and that can go a long way.

There are classes that I've passed that I know absolutely nothing in because I was more focused on getting an 'A' rather than doing what I'm actually paying for. Then the next semester, I buckle up and do the same thing. This kind of mindset isn't going to help me get anywhere, most certainly not to medical school. So now, instead of getting a passing grade and moving on I'm going to find time to take another go at the courses I feel like I could do better in and actually understand.

Try, Try again.


Image result for growth mindset
Growth vs. Fixed. Source: Carson Dellosa Ed.  

Comments