Reading Notes: Ramayana Part A

I like how Rama and the others ditch their royal clothes and work on fitting in with their forest dwellers. They sound as if they are at peace with being in exile for 14 years. I can't imagine how long that is! I did research online and the Ramayan occurred in 7600 BC. Back then, the people of the forest wore dreads. I think this is a pretty cool detail (I love dreads, I style my hair with faux locs all the time. 

The bond portrayed between the two brothers, Lakshmana and Rama, seem to be very powerful. Lakshmana explained to his brother that living without him would be like a fish living without water. based off of this story, it is easy to say Lakshmana cares deeply for Rama and his wife, Sita. 

As Dashratha dies, it sparks curiosity on how the idea of Karma works. His dying words explain he is dying of grief for the loss of his son. Earlier in this part of the story, Kushayla questions why Dashratha keeps his promise to Kaikyeyi. 

"Thou wouldst not break thy promise to Kaikyeyi, but thou didst break thy promise made to thy counselors that Rama should be thy successor."

To me, this seemed like the catalyst to Dashratha's demise. After this encounter, his grief grew to be too much for him to bear. 

Comments