The Cunning Landlord and the Old Man


It was the Coldest December night in Oakland, 1996. To make matters worse, the heating system at Queensbridge Apartments was out. Again. What once housed a vibrant mix of cultures from all around the world had now housed just a few families. The rest fled from the poor maintenance. Most of them had the safety of their little ones to worry about, and the luxury of affording the move. 

"This is the third night in a row!" the Old Man said to himself. He was the oldest resident in the complex. Most of his life was spent living there. So much of his history was inside, just as well as  outside the walls of Queensbridge. At Age 27, he met the love of his life just down the hall. At 45, he was able to cast in his first ballot at the school around the corner. There was no way he could give all that up. 

A few days later there was a note posted up on the door. The Landlord was offering up money for people to break their lease. As time went on the price went up and one by one, the residents of Queensbridge Apartment where no more. 

"Come on, just move" said his neighbor. "It's good money!" 

His neighbor still had his wife, and his two kids moved to the Bay area shortly after he graduated college. He had a place to stay, but the Old Man had nowhere. No one.

"Somethings not right, why would he pay us to leave?" said the Old Man."I have to go see what this mess is about." 

"Suit yourself, I'm out of here. This place is falling apart. Literally." 

The Old Man marched to the Landlord's office. 

"Landlord, what's with the money, why don't you put it to good use and fix the heat. I'm old, and this is the coldest winter Oakland's ever seen! I cant handle this!" 

"Old man," said the Landlord, "I have bigger things I have plans for, I  don't want to be the owner of a simple complex. This was my father's plan, not mine. But I don't want to leave my resident's high and dry, you guys are like family! I want to make sure you are comfortable. Please, take the money so I can get out of me lease and leave this place for good." 

"But where would I live? I have no where else to go. This place is the only home I've ever known"  Said the Old Man

"Oh! Don't worry. The buyers of this place want to keep the complex. Sign a lease with them!  —You know what, I'll even double what I paid the rest of your neighbors. Please, just sign this Agreement to dissolve the lease" 

But there was something the Landlord wasn't telling the Old Man. Just a few months ago, he made a deal with a buyer to sell the place and turn it into a 40 story condominium tower. Housing that only the richest could afford, that offered up captivating views of the beach. The only catch was that the Landlord had to get everyone out of their lease agreement before the buyer signed.

The Old Man knew something wasn't right. He wouldn't just throw money at him like that to leave. He looked out the window and saw an Oakland he didn't recognize. It was no longer the place he grew up in, but the place he wished he grew up in. Tall buildings surrounded the small complex, blocking the beautiful night sky. 

Early next morning, the old man agreed to sign the lease under the condition that he is given a week to move out. That same day he made an unusual commute to city hall. With the money he just earned, he bought the air rights for the space just above his complex. "Just in case they want to turn my fondest memory of this city into something unrecognizable." He thought.

On his last day, the Old Man took a walk around the lobby, where he ran into the Landlord. 

"Old man! I've never seen you so happy!" 

"My papers just came in the mail," said the Old Man. "I am a new owner! 

"Owner? That's exciting," says the Landlord. "What's the big purchase?"

The Old man smirked. "Air!" 

"Air?" Questioned the Landlord.

"Yes! Air! The air above this very complex." 

"What?!" Exclaimed the Landlord. "How will I ever sell this place, No big buyer will it now. They wont be able to build anything above 5 stories." 

"Well, said the old man. I'll buy it off of you. For exactly how much it's worth" 

The Landlord had no choice. He had to sell to the Old Man if he wanted to get out of Oakland. With that, the Old Man became the proud, new owner of Queensbridge Apartments. And he lived happily in his home, welcoming any and all who need a place to call home for the rest of his life. 

Image result for old oakland
Source: Flickr
Authors Note: When I first read the story about the Cunning Crane, I saw parallels with gentrification. The fish were tricked into leaving their home when the crane pointed out their poor living conditions, only to have them die out. In my story, the residents symbolize the fish and the Old Man is the crab, but he's also the old fish. I didn't like how the oldest fish was 'sacrificed' to see if it was safe for the other fish to go, so I made him the last to stay. 



Comments

  1. Hi Ida! I really liked the creativity in your story and your application of the cunning crane and the crab to gentrification. It seems like that Jataka tale has a lot of possibilities for modern topical discussion. I really liked your ending where the old man becomes the owner and can keep the apartment he knows and loves. I honestly was emotionally connected to your characters because of your writing. Can't wait to read more stories from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Ida
    I right off the bat really appreciated your detail in the story by setting the scene with details in temperature and notes on the environment; this all really helped me get involved as the reader. Personally, I do not use a lot dialogue in my stories as I feel as it takes away from my descriptions, but you managed to balance both dialogue and intricacies of details as well. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment