Topic Brainstorm

Jatakas
I really, really enjoyed doing the rewrite for the cunning crane and the crab. Looking at the message beyond the surface and applying it to real world issues was really fun to me, because I'm having fun with something that's really important. In middle school, we used to read as story in Aesop's fables—Jatakas remind me a lot about those stories and I hope to incorporate some contemporary themes within some of them .

To learn how to play with these stories, it would do me best to read up on Jataka Tales.


Draupadi 
I mentioned in an old blog post how bad I think Draupadi it. The tale is that she washes her hair in the blood of her enemies. The blood. What an icon. I think it would be really cool to play with comics and see how I can base a superhero off of her.

The original video that I saw can be found here
I also stumbled upon this, and I'm gonna keep this here for inspo, should I decide to base my prokect on Draupadi

The Ramayana Retold 
I saw a previous student retell the Ramayana as if it were being told by Gossip Girl. I thought it was really cool how they incorporated a series they really liked into the Ramayana. It would be really sweet if I did something like that (probably retold with characters from the office, haha). I think it would be something that I would enjoy, and maybe even have a laugh at.

Women of the Epics
There is nothing I love more than a story about a strong, powerful woman. That being said, I would love to explore women of the epics and give them a louder narrative. I recall reading a story that gave different women.

This is another storybook that told their stories in the from of a diary: Epic Diaries

Image result for draupadi
The Disrobing of Draupadi. Source: The Hindu Perspective

Comments