Week 2 Reading Overview

Public Domain Edition. 

For me, the dealbreaker was that his version is public domain. I am undeniably frugal, so when I have a chance to save money, I do. I was a little hesitant to officially declare public domain because it is written in old fashion language—I didn’t think I’d be able to understand it, but the fact that there are plenty of notes and links put my mind at ease. Plus, I took a preview at how some of the stories are written and so far, it doesn’t seem that hard to understand. Another thing that I liked about the PDE is that it offers up the works of so many authors and in different style. We LOVE diversity in writing. 

Comics and Videos 

Sudama: The Power of True Friendship : I like the idea that message of this story is about friendship. Not only that, but a friendship between two people with completely different backgrounds. Sudama is a poor Brahmin and Krishna is one of the most favored and famous Indian deities (He’ll probably end up being mine; he sounds like the epitome of some good ol’ TLC) 


Krishna and Narakasura: Confidence vs. Arrogance : The summary says this comic is based of of a battle between Krishna and Narakasura so that Krishna can retrieve some stolen earrings. I love that its up to Krishna and his wife, Satyabhama, to get them back. I can 
can tell that women hardly have a narrative in Indian epics so It’s nice to see a female heroine alongside Krishna in this comic. 


Harry Potter meets Hindu Mythology : Since I was little (like, second grade little) I’ve been reading the Harry Potter series as well as repeatedly watching the movies. I love seeing the parallels with modern and historical lit and the fact that their shared with Harry Potter is awesome! 


Powerful Women of Hindu Mythology : A narrative! For women in ancient Hindu Mythology! I love to see this. From the video, my favorite is Draupadi. She washes her hair with the blood of her enemies. The blood. True queen. 


Draupadi. Source: Times of India










Comments