Week 3 Story: Sita Diaries—Crossing the River

Public Domain Edition—The Ramayana
Link

I prayed and prayed to Ganga for a safe return. After all, a lot can happen in fourteen years. Nonetheless, I couldn’t bear to spend that much time apart from my dear Rama. I am grateful Lakshmana came with us to watch over us both. I was very thankful for Guha most especially. He helped us find safe passage across the river. As a little girl, I heard many stories of the haunting of this river. 

I walked in between the two men. Right now, the two most important men in my life. Even though it was the middle of the night, and in a forest, I felt at peace. There is serenity quite like no other here. I enjoyed the native sounds of the forest and the smell of oak. 

I did miss home though. How could I not? There, everything was certain. My day was planned, My next meal was ensured, and I didn’t have to worry about my own survival! As much as I hate Kaikeyi for banishing my sweet Rama, I know I must find it in my heart to forgive her. There is no room for me to have hate and resentment within. I must focus on our survival. 

Each and every day I think of Urmila. I feel for her deeply Oh, how I wish she chose to follow Lakshmana as I did Rama. I hope she is doing well in Ayodhya.

I talked to Rama until I fell asleep last night. I know that he gets most anxious before bed, so I try to ease him by thinking of other things. I recall waking up in the middle of the night to Lakshmana comforting him. I am so, so thankful that he takes care of Rama, and loves him as deeply as I do (if not, more).  I don’t know what we would do without him. 
Descend of the River Goddess.  Source


Authors Note: For my story, I expanded more on Sita's narrative based off of the public domain edition. To broaden her voice, I wrote this story in the style of a journal entry. I kept the bulk of the story the same, and bits on childhood memories of the river. 




Comments

  1. Hey Ida,
    I really enjoyed your story! I thought it was interesting to make it a journal entry. When I was reading the story, it felt like I was using my own voice when reading it. I was able to visualize everything that you wrote, and it really brought the story to life. Overall, I felt you did a great job and cannot wait to read more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ida,
    I thought your story was a very interesting perspective! I haven't read any stories from the first person view, and I found it a lot easier to follow along with. It is a lot easier to understand the emotions behind every decision when in first person and I think it works very well with this story. I am excited to read more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ida,
    I really like what you did with this story. You definitely gave a lot more voice and body to Sita, but I also think you did something interesting with Rama too. One thing I always commented about Rama was his perfection in all respects, yet in your story you show him as a man who feels anxious and fearful. I also like how you portrayed Lakshmana. I feel like we never got much about him from the original story, but you sort of give him is own unique spot worthy of praise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment