Biography: An Ethiopian Wedding.

Vibrant colors surround me. The yard is filled with the smell of rice and Wakalem. Wā-KA-lem. I can't describe to you what cut of beef it is, but it tastes amazing. The elders are at the front; Tambourines clinging and claves are banging to the rhythm of hymns sung by generations of our ancestors (and of course, the occasional freestyle). I go up to my friend of my late grandmother and request a song for the bride. At 9 pm, more vibrant colors enter through the gates. In Harari weddings, It is a tradition for the Mans side of the family to join the woman's during Anker Makhteb. Together, we danced and sang all night long.


Image result for harari wedding
Traditional Jewelry. Worn by a bride. Source



Author's Note: I wanted to tell this story through my eyes, but without much thinking. I didn't want to add a narrative because I didn't want to take away from the beauty of a traditional Ethiopian Wedding.

Comments