Microfictions: Patrick Chamusso

I stood at the edge of the dock for hours after the ship left. 10 years. I can't believe it's been 10 years. My entire life feels like it's been taken from me. I couldn't even get the chance to watch my baby girls grow. A few days later, I saw him.  The man who robbed me of my life. The man who judged me not by my character, but the color of my skin.  In that moment, I wanted nothing more than to seek revenge. But, for me to move on, I needed to forgive. Forgive, but never forget. 



Revenge was what I wanted. Forgiveness was what I needed. 


Image result for patrick chamusso orphanage
Patrick Chamusso's Orphanage. Source:Two Sisters

Author's Note:  I based this story off of the life of Patrick Chamusso. I saw an interview of him once a long time ago, and he was describing what he felt when he saw the man who pretty much stole a big chunk of his life. The act of forgiveness was an important lesson, and it played a big part in his future endeavors in philanthropy. He currently owns a house (that he built) for orphans in South Africa. 

Comments

  1. Hi Ida! You have constructed such a powerful story in just a few words. While "forgive and forget" is the common phrase that is tossed around since we were young, after events in my life I tried to live by the lesson "forgive but never forget." This is exactly what you said. I think we cannot forget a lesson or else we will repeat the mistake of trusting someone or something and that means we did not learn. However, forgiveness is always important and your story and Patrick Chamusso depicted that very clearly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment