Topic Research: Women of the Epics

Women of The Epics 

Draupadi

So, I figured I could knock two birds with one stone, and do Women of the Epics and feature Draupadi in it! After doing some research, I found that she has taken on multiple husbands. I've never seen this, and I am used to seeing polygamy in the sense that a man has multiple wives, so this was refreshing. There is a story out there that says she was cursed in another life, and that in her next life she would live it with 5 husbands. She is considered an incarnation of Kali by the sect. This is such a coincidence to me because Kali is also another Goddess I really enjoyed hearing about! Her name derives from Sanskrit: "she who is death" I'm not really sure guys... this history is just so hardcore. I love it.
Link 1
Link 2

Kali
So, maybe I can do the different forms/conformations of Kali for my storybook. I can start with kali, then move to Draupadi, and pick another form of the Goddess. I think that would be fun to do! I literally just came up with that on the spot, hah. She is worshipped as the Divine Mother.  I took an African Dance class once and we did a section on Vodun culture. I see a lot of parallels with the deities in Indian religion with the Loas of Vodun. Kali and Pavarti have very opposite effects on Shiva. Parvati calms Shiva and Kali actually provokes him.
Link


Durga
Durga rides a lion/tiger. One of the really cool things about her is that she unleashes divine wrath on wicked, to liberate the oppressed. She uses destruction to make creation, which is pretty much an oxymoron which just makes her so cool.
Link


Image result for kali goddess
Goddess of Time, Creation, Destruction, and Power. Kali. Source





Comments