Fables of Bidpai: Reading B

Maude Burrows Dutton
Fables of Bidpai

The Rustic and the Nightingale
Right off the bat, I appreciate the imagery in the opening scene in this book. The nightingale as a long history of representing virtue and purity. I learned this from a Demi Lovato song, hah hah.  I think it's important to remember this when the poor bird gets captured and locked in a cage. The man though listening to the bird and what it had to say, and in return, he was rewarded with the location of the pot of gold. Before the Nightingale left, he also could have promised not to tear up the roses, and in return fill the beautiful garden with its beautiful tune. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the bird stayed in the cage. I could see this written, and every day the bird stayed in the cage the flowers in his beautiful garden could wilt more and more.

The Crow, the Jackal, Wolf and the Camel
I'm not sure why, but I really thought the camel would be dead once he came into contact with the lion. But, in folklore, they represent royalty in the jungle, and they are usually gracious. So, of course, the lion let the camel be free and choose his own path! I think it is interesting that since the camel is new, he isn't welcomed into their little family of animals. Also, it is strange that we don't know where the elephant got his wounds. Unless I missed it. A part of me thinks it's the lion that caused his wounds. That would be a plot twist! I hate the ending, though. I wish that the lion spoke back. I think he would have recognized their tricks and condemned the other animals for trying to fool both him and the camel.

Ten Steps to Starting a Garden | Better Homes & Gardens
Source: BHG

Comments