StoryLab: Nightingale

Inspired by the story The Rustic and the Nightingale by Maude Burrows Durron. From the Fables of Bidpai

100-word drabble

Why does the caged bird sing? 
Confined in such a small space, no way to get out. Singing a tune as melancholy as the end of a sunset but as beautiful as the shining moon surrounded by bright stars. Without trying to escape the caged bird continues to sing this sad, beautiful tune, and as the nights go by, and one by one, flowers in my garden began to wilt. Saddened by the destruction of my garden, I decided to let the bird go free. As the nights passed, my garden grew bigger and more beautiful than it ever was.

6 Words
To prosper, it must be freed.


Authors Note;

 I wanted the birds' story to be more than just about the pot of gold as a reward in the end. So instead of that being the bird's gift to the Rustic, he got back that which he held most dear: The beautiful flowers in his garden. It was so hard to do this in 100 words! I don't even know if I got the full meaning across, but I did want it to be as descriptive as possible. My first sentence alluded to an autobiography by Maya Angelou, who heard that verse in a poem (I can't remember the author's name). The caged bird represents confinement. Fun Fact: Maya Angelou's version of confinement was racism, oppression, and her own insecurities. In the 6 words "it" can represent the nightingale, which is a popular symbol for love and virtue. or it could represent whatever is weighing down on us in the present. Whether it is fear, or doubt, or anything that could possibly hold us back, it has to be freed before we can grow and prosper.

Caged Bird by Eliza Hanson on Amazon Music - Amazon.com
Source: Amazon

Comments

  1. Ida, this is so cool. I wasn't able to do any of the storybook options, but I am regretting that now! I love how poetic and doing it only in 100 words is very hard. I think your author's note was also great, because it really put more meaning to the story beyond what it already said. I did not read the original story but I think the way you rewrote it is wonderful. I feel like we are all in some sort of confinement right now with COVID-19 so it is important to know that freedom will come!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment